Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Coffee Shop


A week ago I witnessed something heartfelt at a local coffee shop. I was killing some time before a client meeting and deiced to treat myself to a nice hot cup of joe, along with some uninterrupted time at my lap top and maybe, just maybe a little people watching, too.

After settling in to a corner booth I dived into responding to emails, updating time sheets, drafting documents and so on, I was on a role. I took a moment to look up and smile at a older lady that moved towards a booth directly across from me. We exchanged hellos and went back to our private worlds.

Several moments later, another woman walked into the coffee shop and recognized the woman across from my booth. They said hello and the woman walked off to place her older, she then came back and asked to sit with her, (I assumed friend at first glance). They began to talk about every day events, to do lists and family. I was captivated by their conversation and moment.

There friendly encounter, one not planned or scheduled, made me yearn for my friends and family. To be going through the steps of my day and a friend come in, how I would welcome some of my closest friends to walk through that coffee shop door, and for us to sit across from each other and chat about top of mind thoughts. It made me miss my friends so much- I had to return to work matters, before I teared up in the coffee shop admiring what these two women we doing- what a priceless moment.

This is not to say I don't have great friends, oh how I do. And they are patient and understanding of my crazy life right now, how my moments are far and in between my to do lists, Ella and Luke's needs and wants, work load, cleaning the house for upcoming showings, challenges with work, fears and excitement for the future. I have found my friends are great listeners during my time of transition, and I need to sometime listen more than speak. They make time for me, just as if I walked into the coffee shop and saw then sitting alone enjoying coffee and a treat, they welcome me in. I just wish sometime it was in person, face to face, than over the phone, or via email, text or Facebook.

Some day I hope to have the coffee shop friendship again, in my friends home town's and when they come to visit me, wherever that might be!

Friendship comes in many shapes, sizes and times in our life, I treasure each of those friends and love them dearly, and miss our days together, reflect on the ones we shared and look forward to future encounters in the future.

3 comments:

Jan said...

Oh what a beautiful sentiment!! And one most of us share, I presume :)

Loved the post! And may you have that chance rendition, so that you may reminisce in years to come about the beauty that is friendship :)

Tariso Winfreda said...

Fiendship is the best thing a person can have

Anonymous said...

yup u r right.. friends are the best thing happen to us after our parents.. :)